Environment, Health and Safety REACH Solutions
REACH protects human health and the environment from the risks of chemical substances.
(EC) Regulation No 1907/2006 on Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Restriction of Chemicals – commonly known as REACH – establishes procedures to assess and manage the risks posed by chemicals. It covers all individual chemical substances on their own, in preparations and in articles.
REACH places the burden of proof onto companies, who must identify and manage substance risk. Chemical substances (1 metric tonne or more) manufactured or imported to the EU, must be registered with the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA). EU manufacturers or importers have an obligation to provide information about the substance and its use. The information must be passed onto the entire supply chain: downstream users, distributers, suppliers and end-users.
ECHA receives individual registrations and evaluates the hazard and risks that the substance may pose to human health or the environment. ECHA also assesses whether the risks can be managed.
If risks cannot be controlled, a ban or a restriction on use can be enforced together with a recommendation on replacement with less harmful alternatives.
Impact on your business
REACH impacts on a wide variety of businesses across many sectors. As a rule of thumb, the following actors are responsible under REACH:
- Manufacturer of chemicals (either to use or supply)
- Importer from outside EU/EEA: whether individual chemicals, mixtures or finished products containing chemical substances, importers must comply with REACH
- Downstream users: most companies use chemicals, even unknowingly. They must ensure they comply with obligations under REACH
SGS REACH solutions
We offer a comprehensive range of services to support your REACH compliance requirements. These include:
- Laboratory testing for identification and sameness
- REACH training, auditing, gap analysis and compliance guidance
- Elaboration and submission of REACH registration dossiers
- SGS acting as Only Representative
- Analytical services for assessing substances of very high concern in articles
- Communication and information role with various stakeholders
- Authoring and translations of safety data sheets
Why choose SGS?
The EU’s ‘no data, no market’ policy regarding REACH means organizations must ensure they are complying with the latest substance restrictions to maintain market access. Working with SGS will give you access to a global network of accredited laboratories and experts. As the world’s leading inspection, testing and certification company, we have the capabilities in place to help you ensure REACH compliance.
Contact your local SGS office to learn more about REACH services.