Phase Behavior (PVT)
Studies on a complete range of reservoir types to support the engineering, design and optimization of reservoirs, processes and facilities.
Phase Behavior (PVT) analysis needs to be performed on representative fluid samples collected at the earliest opportunity, normally during the drilling of the first exploration well and certainly before the reservoir is put into full production. This highly specialized form of analysis delivers results for reservoir engineering purposes and also supports the design and optimization of processes and facilities.
Standard & customized PVT services
SGS offers a comprehensive range of standard and customized PVT testing services to suit your needs. PVT studies can be carried out on a complete range of reservoir fluid types including gas condensates, black oils, and near-critical fluids. Representative samples are examined at actual reservoir pressures and temperatures to determine phase behavior and compositional changes through the life of the reservoir as pressure declines.
Advanced studies provide important data for designing flow systems (flow assurance) and reservoir modeling for enhanced oil recovery (EOR) processes. These laboratory studies evaluate the potential for:
- Solids onset and deposition
- Pressure-temperature (P-T) solubility boundaries of organic and inorganic solids
- Chemical incompatibilities
- Compositional exchanges from gas injection/production
- Changes in fluid rheology (flow) behavior
Routine fluid studies normally cover the following laboratory tests:
- Sample quality assessment of downhole or surface samples
- Selection of the most suitable sample(s)
- Hydrocarbon and brine composition
- Mathematical and physical recombination
- Constant composition expansion (CCE)
- Differential liberation experiment (DLE)
- Constant volume depletion (CVD)
- Pressurized fluid viscosities
- Multi-stage separator test
- 0-Flash oil shrinkage/allocation test
- Flow assurance screening tests
- Detailed crude assays
Advanced fluid studies include the following laboratory tests:
- Solubility-Swelling studies
- Multi-Contact and revaporization studies
- Miscibility studies (by slim tube and vanishing IFT)
- Asphaltene solubility and onset studies
- Wax/paraffin phase behavior and flow studies
- Scale solubility P-T measurements and predictions
- Hydrate envelopes & chemical treatment studies
- Analysis of solids deposits and chemical treatment
Why choose SGS?
Our staff have many years of experience analyzing subsurface and recombined samples of all varieties including heavy oils (<10⁰ API), sour oils and gases, near-critical oils and gases, and ultra-lean retrograde condensate gases. Our PVT laboratories are ISO certified and perform routine and advanced studies to the highest standards using industry-recognized laboratory procedures and state-of-the-art, high-precision equipment. All data generated by our upstream laboratories is reviewed by data quality engineers using material balance methods combined with duplicate measurements to ensure the most accurate lab reports possible.
To find out more about PVT testing services available from SGS, contact your local office today.